[bcbirdclub] Purple Martins doing Well on Compton Mt

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:57:29 -0400

Until this year I had had only 2 pairs of Purple Martins nesting at my place
each year. This year I have at least 16 birds. I just did a nest check of my 12
compartment martin house and the 8 gourds. There are 24 white eggs and 6
nestlings, 4 of which look as if they just hatched. I'm looking forward to
seeing all of the birds in the air at one time once all of the young have
fledged.

Johnnie Ratliff had better watch out. I'm about to catch up to his 600 or so
birds he had last year after the young had fledged. At the rate I'm going I
figure it will take only another 20 years or so.

JPEG image