[bcbirdclub] Purple Martins

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 00:36:29 -0400

Five years ago I put up a martin house with hopes of attracting Purple Martins.
Unfortunately 3 years went by and none ever came, then last year twice during
the summer a single martin was seen circling around the house with some very
angry Tree Swallows following it. The Tree Swallows don't nest in the martin
house but in the gourds that are suspended under it. That martin left and was
not seen again.

Yesterday evening, while I was in the yard I heard a gurgling chirp that was
not a Tree Swallow. I looked up to see two Purple Martins circling overhead - a
male and a female. They flew down near the martin house only to be chased by
Tree Swallows. Undeterred the martins kept flying back to the house. The Tree
Swallows would again give chase. Purple Martins are quite a bit larger than
Tree Swallows, and according to Johnnie Ratliff can hold their own with them,
but finally the two martins left.

This evening I once again heard the sound of Purple Martins. This time the male
was back. This time he had two females with him. They circled for awhile then
all three perched on the martin house. Something may have taken place earlier
today while we were away from home because this time the Tree Swallows just
ignored the martins. The male martin began examining the different compartments
of the 12 compartment house, warbling and chirping as he went. The two females
remained sitting on top of the house for a few minutes, then one female took to
the air, then the other. The male followed shortly. This scenario was repeated
a couple more times before, just at sunset, all three left the area. Johnnie
Ratliff, the king of Purple Martin colonies, had told me that if the birds
spent the night in the house, there was a good chance they would stay and nest.
I waited as the brightness faded from the sky. Nothing, then just before dusk
two of the martins returned and quickly slipped into one of the compartments of
the house. Now I have hope that they will stay, but now it's wait and see.

Here is a photo of the three of them at the house just before sunset. The two
birds perched on top are females. The male's dark head can be seen at the left.
A Tree Swallow's head can also be seen sticking out of the opening in one of
the gourds nearest the pole.

JPEG image