[bcbirdclub] Purple Finch, Pine Siskin Invasion - Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:45:11 -0700 (PDT)

I had not seen any Siskins or Purple Finches until today. I noticed this
morning that  something had eaten a lot of seeds from our feeders. I went
outside a few minutes ago and there were 20 plus Pine Siskins and 20 plus
Purple Finches. I also had several American Goldfinches and House Finches.
I noticed several of the Puple Finches were young males (colored like females
but with a splash of red). This is by far the earliest I have had Siskins visit
our feeders.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club