[bcbirdclub] Possible Great Blue Heron Rookery in Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:54:07 -0700 (PDT)

I believe that I may have located another Great Blue Heron rookery in Russell
County. About 1:30 this afternoon I was birding on Clifton Farm Road when I
noticed a heron flying towards Little River. It was the last in a group of 18
GBH that circled above the tree line then dropped down towards the river. I
drove back towards the area , parked and walked towards the river. I saw
another 5 or 6 herons descend into the trees. I could not walk along the river
bank so I went back to the truck and drove along the road trying to find the
rookery. I could not get close enough to the river and did not see any more
herons. There were at least 24 herons dropping into the trees along the river.
That would indicate that there is a rookery somewhere in the vicinity. I will
find an area where I can get closer to the river in the next couple of days and
try to locate the rookery.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club