[bcbirdclub] Peregrine Falcons Fly Again over the Breaks Park

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:15:42 -0400

Hi All,
Over forty years ago Peregrine Falcons nested along the deep gorge of what is
now the Breaks Interstate Park. Due to the use of DDT and other pesticides
Peregrines disappeared from the area, as they did from nearly all of the
Eastern United States. The Breaks Interstate Park was the last known nesting
site for Peregrines in VA in the early 1960's.

Now, thanks to the efforts of members of the Virginia Department of Game and
Inland Fisheries, this magnificent raptor once again cuts through the air above
the rocky crags of the park. So far this spring and summer 11 young Peregrines
have been hacked in the park, and can now be seen and heard, as they soar along
the canyon rim.

Yesterday fellow bird club member, David Raines, and I were fortunate to stand
on one of the park's rugged overlooks and watch a young Peregrine fly past us,
hundreds of feet out over the gorge. I must say it was something both of us had
dreamed of seeing for years. The bird could be heard calling as it flew.
Needless to say jubilant high fives were exchanged after the Peregrine flew out
of sight. Now, if a pair will just nest there...

I managed to take some quick photos of the bird as it passed. The photos can be
seen at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/gallery/peregrines

I apologize for the photo quality. The bird was flying fast at some distance,
and I was attempting to focus manually, but it was a moment I definitely wanted
to preserve.

Morris Wallace and others of you in or near Elkhorn City, KY, keep an eye out
for these birds. They will probably be coming into the town to get the pigeons
that stay there.