[bcbirdclub] Partial Solar Eclipse at Sunset tonight

  • From: donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

If the clouds clear you should be able to see the partial eclipse tonight at sunset. I remember the first eclipse I saw was in second grade. My teacher, Mrs. Williams helped us all to make a safe viewing pinhole projector. At the time it seemed like magic to me.

You can build a simple "pinhole" projector with two pieces of white paper and a thumbtack or pin.

-- Punch a small opening into one piece of paper with a thumbtack or pin.

-- Make sure your back is toward the sun.

-- Hold the paper with the hole between the sun and a second sheet of paper. The second piece of paper will act as your screen for the image. Be patient. It takes a little adjustment to angle the paper so the sun's image is on the screen.

You should see an image of the sun on the screen — it will look like a crescent.

If you're lucky, you can also sometimes see the crescents on the ground underneath trees or bushes during solar eclipses.

Don