[bcbirdclub] Owls

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 22:15:45 -0400

Hi All,
After this evening's bird club meeting Lynda and I were just starting up
Compton Mt when we saw a Barred Owl in the headlights. It flew up from the road
and perched in a tree. We pulled up alongside and could see it in silhouette as
it craned its neck to look at us. It made a hiss-like mewing sound, which is
typical of begging juveniles. We watched the bird for a couple of minutes
before it flew into thicker trees. The hissing sound could still be heard.

We had not driven more than a few yards when a small owl came flying at us and
zoomed across in front of our windshield. We couldn't be sure but we felt it
was probably a Screech Owl. It disappeared into the darkness.

Two owl species in five minutes. Not bad.