[bcbirdclub] Re: Osprey,Hooded Mergansers...

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:54:13 -0500

Great day of birding David. The Buffleheads are another great sighting for our
area. As we discussed on the phone, the Osprey you sighted is a new late date
for that species in the area. Sorry Cheryl (Thompson) your November 3rd
sighting in 2007 was the late date until yesterday :(

On Wednesday I had both male and female Purple Finches at my feeder. On
Thursday a female showed up during the Thanksgiving Day Window Watch. On Friday
and this morning there was a single female here.

Late Thursday night before going to bed I turned on the outside light as I
usually do and saw what at first I thought was a fox in the shadows in the
yard. After getting a good look I realized it was too tall and too large to be
a fox. It was staring at a possum that was near the back door. In a few seconds
it turned to leave the yard, and I could see that it was a coyote. That's the
first one I have seen here in the yard. I'm not sure if it was comig after the
possum or could smell where we had fed the foxes some turkey scraps.