[bcbirdclub] Ninja Thrasher takes on Rat Snake

  • From: Roger Mayhorn <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 07:22:32 -0700 (PDT)

Day before yesterday, we watched a life and death drama unfold in our
driveway here on Compton Mt as a Brown Thrasher with young nearby fought
valiantly to drive away a large Rat Snake that had come into the area. The bird
came close to being killed by the snake as it darted in to peck at the snake's
body, then quickly retreat. The snake made several strikes at the bird, but it
was too fast. When the snake decided it had had enough and tried to leave, the
thrasher renewed its attack even more vehemently.
Here are a couple of photos. The whole story can be seen
in blow by blow photos on my web site at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/snake_thrasher