[bcbirdclub] Re: New River Valley Weekend

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 23:24:58 -0400

Ed,
I loved the photos you and Michelle took of last week's outing. I have come to
the conclusion that you have a large format Hasselblad or some other expensive
camera hidden somewhere, that you use when you go out, and you only bring out
the small camera when anyone's around.

I took about 746 photos this week when Lynda and I drove out to the Outer Banks
and spent the week. We drove part of the way on Sunday, then arrived early on
Monday. We came home in the all day rain on Friday.

The bird numbers were down quite a bit. There were almost no birds on the
beaches except for a few gulls. I saw one flock of Sanderlings. Even Pea Island
had only a fraction of the numbers of ducks it usually has. On Thursday there
were almost no waterfowl on the upper ponds near the visitor's center. The
birds that were there had moved to the lower ponds. We still managed to get
about 63 species. Most of the ducks there were Pintails, Blue and Green-winged
Teal, and Black Ducks. I was hoping for a Seaside Sparrow, which I don't have,
but the only ones we found were Savannah, Song and Swamp. We saw only one flock
of about 8 Snow Geese.

I hope you got my phone message about Sparrow Day and food. As I said before
you don't have to go to the trouble of doing the hot dog thing. Just let me
know and I will get the word out about the day.

Attached is a photo I took of a White Ibis.

Take care,
Roger