[bcbirdclub] Re: NFH Great Blue Heron Rookery

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:29:09 -0400

Don,

The rookery is, in fact, on private property.  However, it is visible from
VA Route 91.  Unfortunately, there is no shoulder to the road near the
rookery.  Yesterday, we made our observations based on stopping on the
pavement and counting until someone started approaching from behind.  You
can park nearby and walk along what shoulder there is to approach.  From
Bristol, you would take exit 35 off I-81 and head to Saltville on route 107.
In Saltville, 107 tee's into 91.  Turn right and drive past Buck's Drive Inn
and Jimmy Joe's (or something like that) Appliance.  You will have crossed
the river before you reach these.  Just past the appliance store, 91 reaches
the river again.  There's a fairly long (for this road) straight stretch.
Near the end of the straight, you'll be able to see the rookery in a large
sycamore across the river.  There's an area in the curve where I believe you
can park without a problem.  There's also an area at the beginning of the
straight where you can pull over.  In either case, you have very little
walking room to work with.

I know that someone in the Saltville area got permission for participants in
a Saltville bird walk a couple of years ago to actually go across the river
and approach.  I don't know who that was but perhaps Roger or Dave might
have more info.

Jerry