[bcbirdclub] Re: Mystery Bird Tazewell, VA

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "buchanan co bc" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:24:04 -0500

Tom,
I agree with you that the bird is a leucistic sparrow, but as to the species I
am leaning more toward a Song Sparrow. After looking back at many of my photos
of different sparrow species I think it looks most like the Song. In some of my
photos the Song Sparrows do have some reddish-brown on the wings and tail
similar to that of a Fox Sparrow, and the leucistic bird doesn't seem to have
enough heavy streaking on the sides and flanks that would be typical of a Fox.
Also the spotting on the breast doesn't have the typical reddish-brown coloring
that a Fox would have, but is closer to the grayish- brown that a Song would
have. The long rounded head shape also seems to be that of a Song Sparrow.

I hope others on the listserve will jump in with their opinions. It's a very
interesting subject. Thanks for photographing and posting it.

We may continue this discussion at the meeting tonight.