[bcbirdclub] Mystery Bird Revealed

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:20:48 -0400

The mystery bird is a Yellow-throated Vireo in the process of molting. It is
probably a juvenile that has not yet developed the yellow spectacles. Almost
everyone who participated got the correct ID. Way to go!

For those interested Gerard "Gerry" Hawkins of Arlington did a great job of
analyzing the photos and expressing the process in an email. Here it is.

My first impression when looking at the pictures of this bird is
that it has a very large bill, and one picture appears to indicate that
the upper mandible may have a small hook at the end. So this bird
appears to be a vireo, not a warbler. A couple of the frontal pictures
appear to indicate that this bird has prominent white wing bars, and the
last picture indicates that this bird has broad white edges on the
tertials and some whitish edges on the outermost tail feathers. The
clear yellow on the breast and relatively sharp demarcation of this
yellow from the rest of the white underparts make it look like this bird
has been dipped head first into a can of yellow paint. Based on the
foregoing, as well as the bluish-gray color of the legs and feet and a
grayish rump, as indicated in the last picture, I suggest this bird is a
juvenile Yellow-throated Vireo even though it does not have the distinct
yellow "spectacles" of the adult.

Thanks to everyone who participated.