[bcbirdclub] Mystery Bird Revealed

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:50:53 -0400

Hi All,
It is the consensus of the majority that the mystery bird I posted at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/image/104000450 is a juvenile Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, though I must admit it does bear a striking resemblance to the
juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker in the Sibley guide. The telling Yellow-bellied
field marks are the dark head with a bit of red, light face markings, the long
straight, thick bill, the barred back and the dappled underside. The white
patch on the outer primaries is partially hidden by breast feathers.

The juvenile Hairy Woodpecker, that some thought it was, doesn't have the
extensive barring on the back, or the pattern on the underside.

Here is a breakdown of the votes:

Juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  21

Juvenile Hairy Woodpecker  5

Juvenile Red-naped Sapsucker 1

Arizona (Strickland's) Woodpecker 1

Thanks to everyone who participated and to those who guessed but didn't send it
in. You just proved what I have been saying," You guys know your birds."

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mountain