[bcbirdclub] Mystery Bird ID

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:41:59 -0500

Hi All,
The mystery bird is a Red-shouldered Hawk. The mottled look of the back
feathers, the narrow white bands on the dark tail feathers, and the red on the
"shoulders" of the wings were the clues that gave it away. Forty-five people
took a stab at the ID and forty-three made the correct one - Impressive.

You can see the photo I would have gotten of the hawk, had it not flown at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/red_shld_hk   I took these photos last year of
possibly the same hawk.

I enjoy trying to get the right photo that will make you scratch your heads and
put your gray matter and your birding skills to work, so keep your birding
skills honed.
You never know when another mystery bird might appear for you to ID.

Thanks to everyone who participated.