[bcbirdclub] Mudhole News

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <birder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Buchanan Birds'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:29:47 -0400

There is sad news from the Mudhole.  The cretins who have leased the farm
decided to drain and fill it.  The upper end where the deepest hole was is
no more.  The lower end still has a little water in it but not enough to
attract waterfowl.  It may still attract Snipe, but the only thing I saw
there this afternoon were three Turkey Vultures.  Fitting, perhaps.

I'm still seeing a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak regularly and a female
occasionally.  I saw my first hummer at the feeder today, but I'm pretty
sure it's been coming for some time since the sugar water level has dropped
for several days.  Also had a Red-winged Blackbird and a Common Grackle at
the feeders today.

Jerry