[bcbirdclub] Mountain Top Golf Course and Head of Slate Creek

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:57:19 -0400

Hi All,
Yesterday Don Carrier and I birded the Mountain Top Golf Course here on Compton
Mt. We then drove the road going into the Head of Slate Creek that eventually
makes its way back to the top of Compton Mt.

At the golf course the highlights were two Cerulean Warblers, American
Redstarts, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo that posed for pictures (you saw Don's nice
photo) Indigo Buntings, a Scarlet Tanager, Wood Thrush, and Yellow-throated
Warblers.

In the Head of Slate Creek we had Kentucky Warblers, a Swainson's Warbler,
Acadian Flycatchers, American Redstarts, Black-and-white Warblers,
Black-throated Greens, a Common Yellowthroat, Hooded Warblers, Louisiana
Waterthrushes, Northern Parulas, and Yellow-breasted Chat.

The complete list is below.

Mountain Top Golf Course (21 species)

American Crow 2

American Goldfinch 2

American Redstart 3 (2f)

American Robin 6

Brown Thrasher 5

Carolina Chickadee 1

Carolina Wren 1

Cerulean Warbler 2m

Chipping Sparrow 3

Eastern Bluebird 3 (2m, 1f)

Eastern Towhee 5 (4m, 1f)

Hooded Warbler 4

Indigo Bunting 4 (3m, 1f) female carrying nesting material

Northern Cardinal 2

Northern Flicker 1f

Ovenbird 1

Red-eyed Vireo 3