[bcbirdclub] More Migrants Passing Through

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:48:41 -0400

Hi Everyone,
Even though I did some carpentry work in the house today I managed to look at
the stream and yard each time I passed the window. I had 47 species in and
around the yard stream. It is very dry here now, and the birds are really using
the stream. The best bird of the day was a PHILADELPHIA VIREO, or at least an
unusual one for here. That's the 3rd one this fall. I also had WHITE-EYED AND
YELLOW-THROATED VIREOS. There were 6 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS around and in the
stream and 8 SCARLET TANAGERS. I counted 12 warbler species: AMERICAN REDSTART,
BAY-BREASTED, BLACK-AND-WHITE, BLACK-THROATED GREEN, CAPE MAY (5 of those),
CHESTNUT-SIDED, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, MAGNOLIA, PALM, TENNESSEE, WORM-EATING,
and YELLOW-THROATED. For anyone interested the complete list follows these two
photos of a bathing male Cape May I took a couple of days ago. This bird was
really enjoying himself.

This first photo was when he had just gotten into the stream.

The second is when he really gets started. Look at how much water is being
thrown.

The day's list

41 species

Mourning Dove 3

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

Eastern Phoebe 1

Downy Woodpecker 2 (1m, 1f)

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1f

Northern Flicker 3

Philadelphia Vireo 1

White-eyed Vireo 1

Yellow-throated Vireo 1

American Crow 2

Carolina Chickadee 2

Tufted Titmouse 2

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Carolina Wren 2

Eastern Bluebird 1f

Brown Thrasher 2

Gray Catbird 1

European Starling 4

Cedar Waxwing 5

American Redstart 1 ad m

Bay-breasted Warbler 3 (2 ad f, 1st yr f)

Black-and-White Warbler 1f

Black-throated Green Warbler 1f

Cape May Warbler  5( 2 ad m, 1 ad f, 2 1st yr f)

Chestnut-sided Warbler 1f

Common Yellowthroat 1 ad m

Magnolia Warbler 3

Palm Warbler 2