[bcbirdclub] Migration and AN UNUSUAL WARBLER

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:46:34 -0400

I can say that the fall migration has officially started here on Compton
Mountain. Yesterday in my yard I logged 29 species, including my first
BLACKPOLL of the season (This morning I had my first TENNESSEE WARBLER). Other
birds of note yesterday were a KENTUCKY WARBLER, 2 YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS, 2
RED-EYED VIREOS and 1 YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, 1 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, 3 SCARLET
TANAGERS, 1 BALTIMORE ORIOLE, and 11 INDIGO BUNTINGS (I had 8 of them in my
yard stream at one time), and 14 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS. The complete species list
for yesterday is at the end of this post.

The most UNUSUAL BIRD OF THE DAY was a warbler that caused me to scratch my
head in wonder. At first glance it looked like a BLACK-THROATED GREEN, but it
had a yellow chest instead of a black one. It had yellow feet and its flanks
were washed with yellow where a Black-throated Green is usually white. Is this
just an unusually marked juvenile Black-throated Green, or could this bird
possibly be a hybrid?

I have posted some photos at http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/strange_bird I
apologize for the photo quality; I have been having some problems with the
focus on my camera. I would appreciate any opinions on this unusual warbler.

Mourning Dove 5

Common Nighthawk 14

Chimney Swift 4

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3