[bcbirdclub] Migrants still, and other creatures

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:36:26 -0400

Yesterday, Sunday the 14th, I was surpised to see migrants, especially warblers
still passing through the area this late in October. A Magnolia, aTennesse and
4 Yellow-rumps came down to drink and bathe in the yard stream. A Red-breasted
Nuthatch, which has become a regular, dropped down for a quick drink before the
other birds scared it away. Our first Northern Mockingbird since last fall
stopped by for a drink, as did a migrating Gray Catbird. Two FOS (first of the
season) White-crowned Sparrows stopped by to drink and feed under the bird
feeder, and migrating Blue Jays bullied their way onto the platform feeder for
some sunflower seeds. The day's complete list is below.
Here is a photo of one of the juvenile White-crowned Sparrows. More photos of
the day can be found at my web site at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/around_the_stream_10_14_12

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1m

Downy Woodpecker 1m