[bcbirdclub] Lots of Siskins and Others

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 20:16:54 -0500 (EST)

Today 30 Pine Siskins appeared under our bird feeder that contained sunflower
seeds and a mixture of wildbird seed. The birds were here for about 30 minutes
before taking to the air after being surprised by a squirrel. The 30 beats my
feeder record number of 26 on Oct. 17, 2012.
We also had a pair of Purple Finches at the feeder.
Later in the day an immature Red-shouldered Hawk perched in a tree just below
yard. After a few minutes it made a dive into some dead poke berry bushes, but
came out without any prey.