[bcbirdclub] Little River Heron Rookery

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:51:29 -0700 (PDT)

David Raines and I went to the rookery on Clifton Farms Road this afternoon so
that I could try to get some pictures. We looked at the trees from a slightly
different angle and were able to count at least 32 nests and almost all appear
to be active. The lower nests appear to be older and much larger, We walked
down through the pasture until we came to the peninsula that has the nests. As
soon as we stepped out of the trees the herons flew from the nests. We did not
try to get any closer. I took some photos but the light and the angle were
poor. You can only see the nests in the top of the trees. 4 of those photos are
at the following link on pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/little_river_rookery

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter