[bcbirdclub] Lawrence's Backcross Warbler

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 20:02:48 -0400

Yesterday fellow birder Daryl Owens and I birded Compton Mt and the head of
Slate Creek, the next hollow up past the turn up Compton Mt. We had a great day
with 66 species, 4 FOS Acadian Flycatchers, 2 FOS Eastern Wood Pewees and a
late migrating White-throated Sparrow. However, the most exciting part of the
day was when we found a LAWRENCE'S BACKCROSS WARBLER singing on territory. It
was singing the Blue-winged song. For those not familiar with a Lawrence's it
is a decendent of the offspring of a Blue-winged Warbler and a Golden-winged
Warbler. That is an over simplification but the basic fact.

Here are 3 photos of the bird. I apologize for the quality. Most of the photos
I took were backlit by a sky of white clouds.

The day's complete species list is just below the photos.

66 species

Wild Turkey 4 (1m, 3f)

Turkey Vulture 1

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 (carrying small prey)

Red-shouldered Hawk 5 (2 adults, 3 chicks in nest)

Mourning Dove 2

Barred Owl 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 7

Red-bellied Woodpecker 4 (1m, 2f)

Downy Woodpecker 2 (1m, 1f)

Northern Flicker 1

Pileated Woodpecker 2

Acadian Flycatcher 4 FOS

Eastern Wood Pewee 2 FOS

Eastern Phoebe 3

Great Crested Flycatcher 1

White-eyed Vireo 1

Blue-headed Vireo 1

Yellow-throated Vireo 1

Red-eyed Vireo 15

Blue Jay 6

American Crow 16

Purple Martin 13

Tree Swallow 4

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3

Barn Swallow 1

Carolina Chickadee 10

Tufted Titmouse 6

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Carolina Wren 3

House Wren 1

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Eastern Bluebird 4 (2m,2f)

Wood Thrush 7

American Robin 4

Gray Catbird 5

Brown Thrasher 3

European Starling 1

Blue-winged Warbler 1 (Lawrence's Backcross Warbler - Adult male 1)

Northern Parula 3

Yellow Warbler 2

Chestnut-sided Warbler 1m

Yellow-rumped Warbler 2m

Black-throated Green Warbler 2

Yellow-throated Warbler 2

Black-and-white Warbler 3m

American Redstart 7 (5 adult males, 2 imm. male)

Ovenbird 15 (one carrying nesting material to nest on the ground)

Louisiana Waterthrush 2

Hooded Warbler 16

Yellow-breasted Chat 1

Scarlet Tanager 10 (9m, 1f)

Chipping Sparrow 7

Song Sparrow 3

White-throated Sparrow 1 (late migrating)

Eastern Towhee 7 (6m, 1f)

Northern Cardinal 18 (12m, 6f)

Indigo Bunting 8m

Red-winged Blackbird 5 (3m, 2f)