[bcbirdclub] Late Warbler Migrants

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan county bird club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 22:50:05 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday, Wednesday, I looked out at the bird feeders and there in the bright
morning sunlight was a Pine Warbler feeding on the suet cake. Later a
Yellow-throated Warbler also came in to feed. This may have been one of the
pair that nested nearby and came all summer to feed on the suet. a Palm Warbler
with bobbing tail fed among the tall weeds and shrubs at the edge of the woods.
A male Cape May Warbler and  a few Yellow-rumped Warblers came to drink and
bathe in the yard stream
 .
A calling Blue-headed Vireo fed in the top of a walnut tree and both Swainson's
Thrush and Wood Thrushes could be heard calling from the woods. A Gray Catbird
fed among the poke berry plants, and a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak came to
feed at the sunflower seed feeder. While walking my birding trail around the
property I was mildly surprised to find a House Wren since we don't normally
see that species within the county, except during migration.

Photos of some of these visitors can be found at this site
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/late_warblers_2014_10_15