[bcbirdclub] Late Post - Bald Eagles;

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 06:16:48 -0800 (PST)

On January 1, Bob and Jean Montgomery, Laverne and I
went to Laurel Bed Lake hoping to see the Long-tailed
Duck observed and filmed by Ed and Michelle Talbot on
the Russell County BC Christmas Count.
As we pulled into the 2nd parking area we saw 2 Bald
Eagles, an adult and a sub adult. Later on we saw a
first year Bald Eagle at the upper end of the lake.
We were able to locate, Pied-billed Grebes, Common
Loon, Red-breasted Merganser and Common Raven but not
the Long-tailed Duck.
Bob and Diana Riggs arrived later and they braved the
brutal weather conditions and hiked to the area of the
beaver ponds. They reported Horned Grebe, Common
Goldeneye, American Coot among other sightings.

Tom & Laverne Hunter