[bcbirdclub] Last Weekend Birding

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:16:28 -0400

     Sorry about the late post but I had trouble finding the USB cable for my
camera.  I started on Friday in Lebanon where I saw and photographed the Osprey
previously reported by the Thornhills.  Then on to Elizabethton and Kingsport
TN in search of a Yellow-crowned Night Heron.  I thought I'd succeeded but
after further inspection found that I had photographed a Black-crowned instead.
 None the less, it was still a lifebird.  Also in Kingsport I checked out the
nesting Double-crested Cormorants and Great Blue Herons at Netherland Inn Rd.
Then, Saturday's Redbud Festival birdwalk and later the Breaks Park with my
Dad.  At the Breaks I was hoping to see Peregrine Falcons but didn't.  However,
I did get close looks at the Yellow-throated Warbler pictured above.  Also on
Saturday afternoon I saw an Osprey just west of Grundy which brought my total
weekend Osprey sightings to five.

     We will be out of town this weekend visiting family in the Washington DC
area so hopefully I can work some birding in up there.

Hope to see everyone soon,

Daryl Owens

Oakwood, VA