[bcbirdclub] Last Saturday's Birding

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:45:12 -0400

Don Carrier joined me on Saturday for birding here on Compton Mt. In spite of
the wind we birded here at our place, then went to the Mountain Top Golf
Course, and later birded and area I call The Flat. It's a large flat area where
a mine used to stockpile coal. It has since been reclaimed and is now getting
to the stage of growth that is good for birds. Dave and Ed, you may remember
it. We checked it out a few years ago before it was reclaimed. Mike Sanders and
I found a male Blue-winged Warbler on territory there back during the breeding
season.

Don and I were surprised to find so many late warblers here at our place. We
had a Tennessee, 2 Magnolias, 2 Cape Mays, 15 Yellow-rumps, a male
Black-throated Green and a male Bay-breasted. We also had a late Chimney Swift,
a Blue-headed Vireo, a returning for winter Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2
Swainson's Thrushes, 2 Wood Thrushes a Gray Catbird and a White-crowned Sparrow.

The most surprising bird of the day was a Common Snipe that we flushed near a
mudhole on the The Flat. We ended the day with 41 species.
Here is a photo of the Blue-headed Vireo and one of The Flat.

The day's complete list follows the photos.

Blue-headed Vireo

                                                                     The Flat

41 species

Turkey Vulture 5