[bcbirdclub] Kentucky Warblers, Red-shouldered Hawks

  • From: Michelle Talbott <mjtalbott625@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 05:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

Mom and I hiked the loop trail on Guesses Fork yesterday and came up with a
long list of species. We passed by an area where two Kentucky Warblers nested
last year and saw at least three, possibly four, different birds, suggesting
there might be two nesting pairs of Kentucky Warblers near the area. Other
warblers that we saw, or heard, included Black-and-white, Redstart, Cerulean,
Ovenbird, Hooded, Blue-winged, Yellow, Worm-eating, and YB Chat. Other species
included Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Blue-headed
Vireo, and Red-eyed Vireo. Noticeably absent on our hike were Yellow-throated
Warbler and White-eyed Vireo.

  Mom heard her FOS Acadian Flycatcher and FOS Wood Pewees on the hike.

  It was a good day for raptors. We saw a pair of Sharp-shinned Hawks, a pair
of Red-shouldered Hawks, and a Red-tailed Hawk. We also logged one TV. The
Red-shouldered Hawks nested in the area last spring and appear to be doing the
same this year, assuming it is the same pair.

  While sitting on the porch yesterday evening, we heard two Barred Owls
calling to each other, quite a treat.

  Michelle Talbott and Shirley Justus.

Got a little couch potato?