[bcbirdclub] Kentucky, Cerulean, Blackburnian - Oh My!

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:25:48 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

Michelle and I made another trip up Caney Island this morning and found
warblers at every turn in the road.  About 200 yards up in the hollow we
spotted a pair of male Kentucky Warblers with one singing from the top of a
Sycamore tree.  Redstarts and Hooded Warblers were everywhere.  We also found
our first Worm-eating Warbler of 2007.  I got to see my first Indigo Buntings,
Ceruleans, Ovenbirds, and Yellow-throated Vireos of 2007 also.  The
White-throated Sparrows appear to be leaving the thickets along the road - we
only found one this morning.  At least two Blue-winged Warblers were seen along
the way also.

  Last night about dark I walked outside just in time to see an Osprey flying
up the river.  I did my best to imitate their whistle-call and the raptor flew
two circles above my house before heading on up the river.  All I could see was
the classic Osprey silhouette against the evening sky.

  We now have three Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at our feeder and Michelle spotted
one of the small blackbirds out there this morning (Rusty or Brewer's).  We're
hoping for a return visit so we can get an ID of that bird.

  Here's a list of the migrants we spotted in Caney Island Branch:

  American Redstart -  (many!)
  Cerulean Warbler - at least 4
  Blacburnian Warbler
  Kentucky Warbler