[bcbirdclub] Juvenile Red-shouldered Hawks

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:25:10 -0400

Hi All,
This morning I heard young Red-shouldered Hawks calling from the woods just
beyond the edge of our yard here on Compton Mt. I knew that a pair of
Red-shouldereds had nested not far away, as they have for several years. With
binoculars and camera I quietly moved in the direction of the sound. I didn't
have to go far before finding two young birds sitting in the same tree. They
looked like they hadn't been out of the nest very long.
As they called I could hear the adults answering them from out over the valley.
I took a few photos then eased out of the area leaving the youngsters where I
had found them.
You can see a couple of photos at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/image/82290000

and http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/image/82290002

Roger Mayhorn, enjoying my little piece of heaven,