[bcbirdclub] Re: Just to let you all know

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <meade.josh@xxxxxxxxx>, "bcbirdclub" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 00:55:55 -0500

Good luck with college Josh!

We have appreciated the time in the past few years Josh and his dad, Joel, have
spent monitoring the 20 bluebird boxes on Keen Mountain (Keen Mt Park and
surrounding area) for the bird club. Since they will not be available to
monitor those boxes during this coming nesting season, is there anyone who
lives close enough, who would be willing to take on the task of bluebird trail
monitor? Monitoring the boxes consists of opening each of the nest boxes once a
week from April 1 to the end of August and recording the number of eggs, number
of young, etc. Opening the boxes does not harm the young or drive away the
adults. I would be glad to make the rounds with anyone interested in order to
show them how it is done. I would take on this trail myself except I am already
monitoring a bluebird trail here on Compton Mt which consists of 28 nest boxes.
If we had a couple of volunteers the work could be split so that each checked
the boxes only once every other week. It takes a bit of your time to monitor a
trail, but is very rewarding to see a mated pair of bluebirds go from courting
and nest building to eggs, then tiny young, then young growing their feathers
to finally seeing them grow large enough to leave the nest. Any help would be
appreciated, even if you could check the boxes only once every two or three
weeks.