[bcbirdclub] Joachim Bible Refuge, Rock Creek Park, Limestone Cove, and Austin Springs

  • From: Michael Sanders <msanders@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birdclub <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Buchanan County Birdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:33:10 -0400

I decided to head to the Joachim Bible Refuge today 04-14-2011 along with a few
other select stops. Most of the species listed were at the bible refuge, with
the main exception being the HENSLOW'S Sparrow which was at Rock Creek Park
(See earlier post). Not a bad day of birding although I was hoping to pick up a
few more warbler species. The bible refuge held more shore birds than listed. I
counted in one flock about 35 to 40 shorebirds but was unable to ID them. (I
need to study up). The species list is below.

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA

DUCKS, GEESE, AND WATERFOWL
Canada Goose
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Hooded Merganser
PHEASANTS, GROUSE, AND ALLIES
Wild Turkey
CORMORANTS AND SHAGS
Double-crested Cormorant
HERONS, EGRETS, AND BITTERNS
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
NEW WORLD VULTURES
Black Vulture
HAWKS, EAGLES, AND KITES
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
RAILS, GALLINULES, AND COOTS
American Coot
PLOVERS AND LAPWINGS
Killdeer
SANDPIPERS AND ALLIES
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Wilson’s Snipe
PIGEONS AND DOVES
Mourning Dove
WOODPECKERS
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
TYRANT FLYCATCHERS
Eastern Phoebe
VIREOS
Blue-headed Vireo
CROWS, JAYS, AND MAGPIES
Blue Jay
American Crow
SWALLOWS
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
CHICKADEES AND TITS
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
WRENS
Carolina Wren
THRUSHES AND ALLIES
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
MOCKINGBIRDS AND THRASHERS
Northern Mockingbird
STARLINGS
European Starling
NEW WORLD WARBLERS
Black-throated Green Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
BUNTINGS, SPARROWS AND ALLIES
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Henslow’s Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
CARDINALS AND ALLIES
Northern Cardinal
TROUPIALS AND ALLIES
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
SISKINS, CROSSBILLS, AND ALLIES
American Goldfinch
--------- STATISTICS ---------
Species seen - 52 Families w/seen species - 25