[bcbirdclub] Immature Bald Eagle, Russell County plus Golden-winged Warbler

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 18:13:50 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday I learned a very valuable lesson. If you intend to photograph birds
always take your camera with you. Saturday afternoon I decided to do some
birding in the Clifton Farms area but like a dummy I decided to not take the
camera. It was raining, overcast and I didn't expect to see anything unusual.
Well, soon after I left the house the rain stopped and the light improved.
Along Clifton Farms Road I spotted a large raptor perched close to the road. It
was an immature Bald Eagle (Basic I, White Belly I) and it was perched not 75
feet from the road in perfect light and well within range of my lens. I looked
at it through the scope for 5 minutes and even tried some digiscoping with a
small camera that was left in the truck. No luck. I have been back twice with
my camera but no luck.
After trying today, I went on into the cove and found a Golden-winged Warbler.
He was on territory not 100 yards from a Blue-winged Warbler. This was on
Hogback Road in Tazewell County. I have posted some pictures but no eagle on
Pbase. Link is below.

http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/goldenwinged_warbler

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter