[bcbirdclub] Hummingbird Incident, Warblers at CIB

  • From: Michelle Talbott <mjtalbott625@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:41:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Everybody,

  Ed and I went for a short hike today at Caney Island Branch, and despite the
usually unproductive hours of 3 to 5 p.m., we logged nine species of warbler,
including Black-and-White, Yellow Throated, Northern Parula, Blue-winged,
Ovenbird, Hooded, Redstart, Black-throated Green, and Kentucky. We also heard
our first Acadian Flycatcher of the season. Two Great-blue Herons were feeding
in the river.

  Chazzy found a copperhead which appeared to be shedding. Its eyes were
covered with a film and it seemed to be blind. It kept opening its mouth and
crawling slowly toward us. Ed got a good picture, which you can see at
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/hikes.

  After we got home, I was heading out the back door when I saw a hummingbird
flying inside the latticework surrounding our porch. This isn't unusual;
several hummers have flown inside and then had trouble getting out even though
the door is always open. Last summer, one even stunned itself and had to be
revived. Well, this little female dropped suddenly and did not move at all. I
picked her up and discovered she had become entangled in a spider's web. The
web covered her wings, beak, and feet. I wrapped her in a towel and took her
into the yard to remove the web. It was so sticky I had to very carefully
scrape it from her wings with my fingernail. As soon as she was freed, she flew
haltingly into the grass and then zoomed into a nearby tree. She was gone a
short time later, and we hope she will be fine. Ed also got a picture of the
bird, which can be seen at the same address as listed above.

  Michelle

always stay connected to friends.