[bcbirdclub] Hooded Warbler - Northern Parula - Ovenbird

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:20:01 -0400

Hi All,
Early this morning we had both male and female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at our
feeder.
A bit later Lynda and I drove up into the Head of Slate Creek, which is the
next hollow after passing the road up here to Compton Mt. Before we got off our
mountain we heard the song of our first of the season Hooded Warbler. Shortly
after getting into the Head of Slate Creek hollow, we heard a Louisiana
Waterthrush in the same spot we heard one a couple of weeks ago. We heard
another Hooded Warbler, then our first Northern Parula, then Black-throated
Green Warblers and Black-and-white Warblers.

Several Blue-headed Vireos were singing and at first nearly fooled me into
thinking they were Red-eyed Vireos by singing much faster than usual. We
expected to hear, but failed to find a Red-eyed Vireo. I heard one sound I
couldn't identify coming from a thicket of Rhododendron. It was the low
chirring, chip, warbling sound almost like that of a House Wren, which it
possibly was, but it seemed out of its habitat. Since House Wrens aren't common
in the area I don't get to hear them as often as I do the Carolina Wrens. I was
so intrigued by the singing of the Blue-headed Vireos that I taped a bit of
their song. While playing it back after I got home I could hear the sound of an
Ovenbird singing in the background.

Here is a list of what we saw and heard:

American Robin 2
Black-and-white Warbler 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 2m
Blue-headed Vireo 3