[bcbirdclub] Hinton WV Outing

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:39:30 -0400

On Saturday, November 5, members of the BCBC will travel to Hinton, WV where we
will spend the day birding with our good friends of the Bibbee Nature Club of
Bluefield. We will meet upriver from Hinton at the Lilly Bridge not far from
Bluestone Dam at 9:00 a.m. We will look for waterfowl and eagles on Bluestone
Lake and bird below the dam across the river at Bellepoint Park. Later we will
hopefully make it to Mountain Valley Lake ( I hope I have the name right),
which is always a good place for seeing waterfowl. After lunch at the Dairy
Queen in Hinton where one sits overlooking the river and gets great views of
what is happening on the water, we will form a caravan and travel downstream
along the New River to Sandstone Falls, birding along the way.

For those who want to travel together from this area up to Hinton we will leave
from Wal-Mart at Claypool Hill around 7:20 a.m. Please do not be late.
If you have small two way radios, bring them. They come in handy for alerting
each other to birds as we caravan along the river.

If the weather is good, it should be a great day of birding. We always see
eagles and other unusual species. We always have a great time birding this
area. Come join us.