[bcbirdclub] Hidden Valley Lake Field Trip

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC Listserve'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:01:36 -0400

The RCBC will have a field trip on Tuesday, June 26, to Hidden Valley Lake
WMA.  Meet at the Lebanon Park & Ride near Burger King to leave at 6:00, or,
if you're coming from the Abingdon area, meet us near the intersection of US
19 and Hidden Valley Lake Road.  We'll drive to Hidden Valley WMA stopping
along the way up the mountain to look for Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and other
birds.  We'll park at the top of the mountain and walk the road downhill to
the old access road.  Target birds include Black-throated Green and
Black-throated Blue Warblers, Canada Warblers, and other warblers.  Other
possibilities include Wild Turkey, Ruffed Grouse, and Osprey.  This trip
takes place on Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries property and
is subject to an access fee.  The fee for daily use is $4/day.  The fee is
waived if you have a valid Virginia fishing, hunting, or trapping license,
or a currnent boating registration.  An annual permit is also available for
$23.  Complete information about the access permit program can be found at
the  <http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/access-permit/> DGIF web site.  You can
also purchase permits on line from the web site.  Please note that if you
are considering an annual permit, it would be more beneficial to buy an
annual fishing license.  The cost is the same ($23), but the DGIF gets
federal matching funds ($8) for each license sold.  This is true of hunting
licenses as well except that the matching funds are greater ($12/license).
Access permits may also be purchased by phone (1-866-721-6911) or at any
license agent (e. g., Walmart in Lebanon).

If there's interest, we may finish the night by going to the top of Clinch
Mountain on VA 80 to listen for Whip-poor-wills.

See you Tuesday!

Jerry