[bcbirdclub] Herring Gull in Buchanan County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:08:32 -0400

Hi All,
Last night I received a call from Fenton Day, a Richmond birder who was in the
area and wanted to know some areas to bird in Buchanan and Dickenson Counties.
Since he was interested in getting some Horned Larks in Buchanan County (He is
trying to get as many species as possible in every county in VA) I told him
about the area of Poplar Gap Park.
This evening I talked with him and he got to South Gap road at Poplar Gap this
morning during heavy fog. He saw a gull sitting in an open area near the
highway. He said he spent about half an hour watching the gull and making
notes. He is convinced that the gull was a second year Herring Gull. This would
be the first reported sighting for that species within the county. He said that
when the fog began to lift the bird took to the air and flew back toward the
Grundy area.

Later in the day at the Breaks Park he saw and Osprey fly by and near Pinnacle
Rock he observed a Peregrine Falcon that made a pass at one of the pair of
Ravens that are nesting there. He also found Blue-headed Vireos Black-and-white
Warblers, Yellow-throated Warblers and Black-throated Green Warblers in the
park.