[bcbirdclub] Hawk Watching at Peapatch

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:17:28 -0400

Hi All,
I know this is short notice, but this is a plan that came about rather quickly.
Tomorrow, Sunday, Don Carrier and I are going to bird here around my place
early in the morning until around 9:00 or 9:30, then we are doing the 20 minute
drive out to Peapatch, which is reached by traveling east on Compton Mt ridge
(Rte 639 then becomes Rte 16), to do some hawk watching at the site we found
there a couple of years ago. The place is right beside the road in an almost
level grass field with a beautiful 180 degree view of the distant mountains and
sky. We have permission to use the spot for birding. We will take some camp
chairs and a lunch and watch for the migrating Broad-winged Hawks that are
traveling south right now. Yesterday Tom Hunter at the Mendota Hawk Watch
counted over 800 Broadwings passing down the Clinch Mt range.

The only negative aspect of this site is that there are no bathroom facilities.
If you can brave that, then come and join us here early,and/or for the
hawkwatching later in the morning.

I am attaching a few photos so you can see what the spot looks like.