[bcbirdclub] Hawk Decides to Stay

  • From: Roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 05:17:32 -0400 (EDT)

It would appear that this small, male Sharp-shinned Hawk has decided to make
our yard a part of his permanent residence. He comes in several times a day to
buzz our bird feeders, then gives chase to whatever flushes, even with m
standing only a few yards away. Yesterday it was a Red-winged Blackbird that
was chased but got away. Over the weekend, while we had company who were
watching the birds at the feeders, the hawk caught a bird off our suet feeder
then dropped to the ground with it. As you can see in the first photo it has
its wings draped over its prey, so I couldn't be sure which species had fallen
victim, but from the gray feathers the Sharpie was pulling off it seemed to be
either a titmouse or a junco.

On Tuesday morning the Sharpie perched in a small cherry tree about 12 feet
away from the window (second photo). If he had been any closer my telephoto
lens wouldn't have focused.