[bcbirdclub] Guesses Fork - Hurley, VA

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:48:59 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

After an unsuccessful attempt to get film of the crazy Ruffed Grouse that has
been flogging four wheelers on Guesses Fork, I took a short walk through the
reclaimed mine site on top of the mountain.  Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were
everywhere and I found at least seven.  The highlight of the hike was a
Ruby-crowned Kinglet at a distance of only 20 feet or so.  I guess the warm
weather was too much for the little guy as he was showing off his red cap and
burst into full song a couple of times (one of the few times I have gotten to
hear their song).  I thought I heard a Catbird but could not confirm it.  A few
Field Sparrows were noted and their song was heard in the fields.  I did jump
at least one Ruffed Grouse along the way also.

This was a great day - two hikes, my first life bird in two years (the
Whip-poor-will earlier in the day), and a day spent birding.

Ed

http://mail.yahoo.com