[bcbirdclub] Grouse,Whip-poor-will & Woodcock

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:49:24 -0400

Yesterday, on the way to church, Holden & I saw a Ruffed Grouse hen on the
shoulder of the road on Bull Mountain. She did not fly which leads me to think
she may have been hiding her little ones nearby. The Woodcock was heard at our
home as was the Whip-poor-will. In fact, I could hear at least 3 or 4
Whip-poor-wills in chorus from our yard last night. This has been our best
Whip-poor-will Spring in many years & the first Woodcock we've had in 5 or 6
years. The Woodcock used to do their courtship flights regularly from the
hayfields around our home, but haven't been here for at least 5 yrs. I'm not
certain that this is necessarily all good news as some of these birds may be
showing up due to habitat loss from nearby road construction.
DaveR/Breaks,VA