[bcbirdclub] Re: Grosbeak & Pileated

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jerry Thornhill \(ls\)" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'BCBC'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 00:07:45 -0400

Jerry,
That grosbeak is an interesting find in June during the breeding season. I
wonder if a pair might be nesting at a lower elevation in your area. On June 14
1985 I had a male Rose-breasted here feeding on mulberries, then in June of
2007 someone contacted David Raines about a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
that had built a nest, here in the county, laid two eggs, then for some reason
abandoned it. So it would seem that sometimes they do choose to nest at a lower
elevation. I wonder if any studies have been done concerning the grosbeak's
nesting habits.