[bcbirdclub] Good raptor day

  • From: daryl.owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Buchanan County' <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:56:06 -0500

Worked in the Hurley area today specifically a surface mine at the head of Race
Fork.  First thing this morning I spotted two American Kestrels perched in
nearby tree.  While having lunch I saw a Northern Harrier hunting a meadow
about 150 yds. away.  While talking to one of the workers about it he informed
me that there are usually two birds like this one that hunt the same area.
Later in the day, his tip paid off as I got to see both birds and confirm that
both were Northern Harriers.  The second bird was an adult male and the second
"Gray Ghost" I've seen in the county this year!  Also of note was a
Red-shouldered Hawk flyover.

Daryl