[bcbirdclub] Golden Eagle having lunch. Perched Merlin. Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Whinery <foshildgc@xxxxxxxxx>, Ed Helen Morgan <edandhelenmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 17:37:13 -0800 (PST)

 After the temperature climbed out of the low 30s today I decided to scout the
areas for the field trip on the 11th. It was a great day. I saw 2  Loggerhead
Shrikes, 10 Red-tailed Hawks, 3 American Kestrels, 6 Golden Eagles and a Merlin
among the 50 species recorded.
One of the Golden Eagles was perched in a tree beside Mountain Road and it
apparently was having lunch. I did not take my scope so I could not see what it
was eating. It was having a horrible problem keeping whatever it had on the
narrow limb. It was hopping along the limb dragging its lunch trying to get it
back on the limb. I saw another Golden Eagle perched on Clifton Farm Road in
the same area Laverne and I saw an eagle yesterday. I was also lucky enough to
find a Merlin on Clifton Farm Road was able to approach close enough to take
some long range photos. I have attached photos of the 3 birds.

Tom Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA