[bcbirdclub] Golden Eagle and Common Raven Dogfight Part II

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:45:02 -0800 (PST)

Several weeks ago I described an encounter between Common Ravens and Golden
Eagles that did not appear to be very serious. The scene that I witnessed today
was entirely different. While birding the Cove Road area in Tazewell
County(SiteMMH08 Va Birding & Wildlife Trail, Mountain Section) I stopped to
chase some sparrows from one side of the road to the other. There was a group
of 50+ Crows and 10+ Common Ravens making a lot of noise on the hillside next
to the road. They appeared to be taking turns mobbing each other. I scanned the
hill and discovered an immature Golden Eagle with 2 Common Ravens in hot
pursuit. The Golden Eagle landed on the ridgeline and before I could get my
scope out and focused there were 7 Common Ravens sitting beside the Eagle. When
the Eagle lifted off the Ravens resumed their atack. They would take turns with
3 or 4 diving and the others soaring nearby. The Eagle tried to land in a tree
and the Ravens went after him while  it
 was on it's perch. The Eagle finally went out of sight over the hill after
taking a heavy pounding. I took some long distance photos just to document the
scene. The first gives you some idea of the distance even with a 400mm lens.
The photos are at the following link:
 http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/eagle_and_raven_encounter

I have also included some other photos taken today:
http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/february_birds

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA