[bcbirdclub] GBBC observations

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:29:02 -0800 (PST)

 Greetings,
I spent most of today participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count. This
morning I watched the feeders then this afternoon I went to Elk Garden,
Mountain Road and Stuart's Pond. There were not a lot of species but some
pretty high numbers of individuals. It was a sparrow day: Laverne and I saw 2
Fox Sparrows at the feeders and I saw 2 Chipping Sparrows. On the 3 checksheets
I submitted:
White-throated Sparrow 137
White-crowned Sparrow 197
Dark-eyed Junco             351
Song Sparrow                   56
Field Sparrow                      4
I also saw 2 Redhead Ducks on Mountain Road, 3 Northern Pintails at Stuart's
Pond and 4 Wilson Snipe (Settle Road and Stuart's Pond).
All in all an interesting day.

Tom Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA