[bcbirdclub] Fwd: [NRV Birds] unusual "leucistic" Eurasian collared dove

  • From: herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:29:57 EST

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:27:47 EST
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: "Stan Bentley" <samorchids@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NRV Birds Birds" <NRVBirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BlueRidgeBirds Yahoo" <blueridgebirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:53:17 -0500
Thanks to those who replied about the unusual dove - especially to Bruce
Grimes. Mark Mullins and I have concluded (but what do we know?) that the bird
is a leucistic Eurasian collared dove. Mark is going to try and research more
on the coloring. The first clue was that it was hanging out with about two
dozen regular ECDs at the usual spot in Belspring in Pulaski County. We first
saw the dove perched in a tree on the opposite side of the highway from the
usual feeding area at the corner of Depot Street. That is where the photo
posted yesterday originated. We were able to see that there was no collar. So
that gave us a little pause. But the bird was the same size as the other
collared doves. Plus it had the nice squared off tail and we were able to see
the dark "wedges" under the tail that are typical of ECDs (see Mark's photo
attached). This new photo I am attaching shows the "leucistic" dove feeding on
the ground. Note the larger size which, to us, eliminates the mourning dove
pictured in front of the leucistic dove. This was an exciting find for us. It
isn't everyday one sees a Eurasian collared dove, much less one so special. The
"established" colony at Belspring has certainly added much entertainment to my
birding over the last few years.
Stan Bentley
Pulaski, VA

--- End Message ---