[bcbirdclub] Fw: [blueridgebirders] Herbicide problems- forefront

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:21:31 -0400

Hi All,
I am forwarding a message that was on the Blueridge Birders listserve
concerning pesticides. I thought some of you gardeners might be interested
in it.

Roger Mayhorn

.

I have just come across an article in Mother Earth News (see attached
file) that concerns me because it reports that one of the herbicides used
by S. States, forefront, is quite long-lasting (perhaps with a half life
of up to 533 days).  The article describes horrible effects in England of
gardeners losing their plants when they applied horse manure or compost
that came from animals that grazed on fields previously sprayed with
forefront to kill weeds in the pasture.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the article but am alerting you to this circumstance and asking whether any of you have experience or knowledge of
this problem.

Bill Dunson
Galax, VA