[bcbirdclub] Re: Fw: What Species

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fred & Janice Martin \(ls\)" <redwing@xxxxxxx>, "bcbirdclub" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bbc-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:12:40 -0400

AWCC MMSJanice,
The fact that the nest has lots of leaves and some moss in it leads me to
believe that the nest is a Carolina Wren nest. The location also seems logical
for a Carolina's nest, and if it were a House Sparrow nest it should have a
huge dome of material on the top with an entrance on the side, and they don't
usually use leaves or moss, mostly grasses with an occasional feather. House
Sparrows also do not, as a rule, build their nests down that low. They like to
tuck them under an eve or some other structure or behind some man made
structure as Starlings often do.

After looking at Carolina Wren eggs in A Guide to the Nests, Eggs, and
Nestlings of North American Birds I am even more convinced that it is the nest
of a Carolina. The speckling on the eggs is wrong for a House Sparrow or a
House Finch. That is a high number of eggs for a Carolina,usually 6 - 8, but
there may have been two females laying in it. That often happens in the bird
world.
You used the word "Sadly", so I assume the parent birds did not come back to
the nest once it was disturbed.